IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution
The IRA qualified charitable distribution is now permanent and is a terrific way to make a tax-free gift to CMU using your qualified retirement plan. This gift may also satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD).
How Do I Qualify?
- You must be 70 ½ years old or older at the time of the gift
- Gifts must go directly from your IRA to CMU
- Gifts must come from a traditional IRA or Roth IRA account
- Gifts cannot exceed $100,000 per donor
Benefits of an IRA qualified charitable distribution gift
- Gifts can satisfy your RMD without increasing your income taxes
- You will not pay taxes on your IRA withdrawal when gifted to CMU
- You may direct your gift to a CMU program or area of your choice
- It is a wonderful way to create an immediate impact in the lives of students and their families
The Office of Gift Planning can provide you with a letter to send to your IRA administrator to make an IRA qualified charitable distribution.
For more information on this gift or any other of our gift planning options, please contact:
Joseph O. Bull, JD
Executive Director of Gift Planning